Breathing the San Luis Valley
the mestdagh family living in the SLV and unearthing the region
Wednesday, June 07, 2006
Sangre de Cristo Mtns: A hike to Willow Lake
I was excited to hike to Willow Lake. Last time I was there was in the early '80s via a N to S Sangres backpacking trip. This hike was different. We hiked up the Willow Lake trail from Crestone.

Julia walked well but 4.8 miles uphill with 3250 ft elevation, according to my GPS, was a bit much for a 4 year old. We helped out when she was tired.

As we closed in on the lake, my eyes were glued on possible climbing routes. More on this only after I climb them.

The lake was beautiful, as was the hike. We were beat. We relaxed while Julia took off her pants and waded around the shore. She fell off a log, dunked herself and started crying. Mia, luckily, brought extra clothes. Here's Julia relaxing, at the lake, before we head down. Yeah, me stump was sore by the time we got to the truck.

Heading down, the clouds built up but no action. Rain is needed! Fire away skies, please!

Driving out we saw saw a Bighorn sheep next to the road. Mia took at pic out the window. The Bighorn looks like a statue.

More pics here.

GeoURL